Thursday, February 4, 2016

How to Save Money in February

Okay, so the title of this post is a little misleading.  What I am going to share with you today is a way you can save money any time of the year.  However, for me, I have applied this practice to this month-February.

Last week you might remember that I posted about how we were doing a spending freeze.  You can read more about that HERE.

Our spending freeze has been uber successful, so now that I've built momentum, I am not ready to stop.  Not only am I not ready to stop, but I wanted to take it one step further.  How could I save more on top of freezing our spending?

I decided the best way was to cut our grocery bill.  And aside from not eating, which is not optional for anyone in this household (seriously, anyone of us misses a snacktime and we get HANGRY) it seemed to me the way to decrease our grocery bill was to make some convenience food items myself instead of buying them.  I knew that by purchasing less pre-made food it would lower our expenses.

Homemade bread and almond milk


So what have I made so far?  I did start this at the end of January to prepare for the first week of February.

I've made my own:

Bread
Granola (can you say goodbye $4 boxes of cereal that lasts two days in this house?)
Greek yogurt
Tortillas (This was WAY easier than I thought it would be!)
Muffins
Granola bars
Almond milk
Taco night with homemade wraps and greek yogurt, along with a cucumber-mango salsa recipe you can find at Imperfect Homemaking.

On top of repeating the above list throughout the month, I am wanting to make my own chicken broth and I also have some whey from the yogurt I made so I am hoping to ferment some kind of food!  Fermented foods are great for your digestive system.

Doing this long-term would definitely help our budget, but I don't want to set myself up for failure. Life is busy, and it can be hard to find the time to make a lot of stuff at home.  So right now my goal is to do this for February.  I am hoping at the end of the month I will have gained momentum in this area too and commit doing this on a regular basis.

What about you? What do you make at home to save some money?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...