Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Bathroom Makeover on a Budget



I've mentioned before on my blog that I don't really have an eye for home decor.  Our house is like a hundred years old, and some of the rooms make you wonder if it is the same decor from back then. ;)

However, I recently have had more of a desire to add some "spark" into this little old house.  And painting is the easiest and cheapest way.  Here's how I recently updated my bathroom.

I hadn't touched the bathroom paint since we moved in 5 years ago.  It is actually one of the better rooms in the house, so it wasn't on my radar to "fix".  However, it is pretty small which means it would be a nice, easy project to start before I moved on to the other rooms.

Yeah, i took the picture AFTER I put the painter's tape up, but you get the idea.

I had a limited budget, and still spent more than I wanted to on the bathroom, but it wasn't too bad.  I bought one of those small, 1 quart, cans of paint.  I knew the bathroom was small, and I was determined to stretch it! :)  I did use the paint and primer-all in-one type this time, first time ever, and let me tell you, I am converted!!!  No more separate primer for me!



I bought the shower curtain at Giant Tiger for $8.00 which is more than I usually pay for a shower curtain.  I often buy them at the dollar store, but I couldn't find a purple curtain in any of the dollar stores.  

The mirror.  So....um...that's duct tape. :)  I don't know how long it will hold up, but for now, it makes me happy.  The flowers are just the tissue paper flowers I made HERE, and I used a glue gun to attach them to the corners.  I did see a lot of tutorials online on how to add a frame to a builder's mirror though, so if you want to go that route, just search online and you will find many tutorials.

The pictures on the wall are frames I bought from the dollar store awhile back. I made the printables online and printed them out. :)  


The hooks in this picture is our homemade towel and toothbrush rack.  Awhile ago we made it and I just repainted it to match the bathroom now.  All we did was take a piece of wood, bought hooks and knobs at the Habitat for Humanity Re-store, drilled them into the wood, and there you go. ;)  The small mason jar is held on by some kind of plumber's ring.  I think it is called a compression ring but don't quote me on that.  I am considering painting the toothbrush jar white, but I can't decide.  What do you think?  White or clear jar?

So there you have it.  I've officially gotten my feet wet in giving one of the rooms a makeover.  This room is so bright and makes me happy, I may lock myself in there a little longer than usual from now on.  But really, who am I kidding? The kids will still be knocking at the door every few minutes. 

Peace & Love. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...