Thursday, May 7, 2015

Mango Infused Sun Tea (Sweetened with Honey!)





Sun Tea.

Just those words alone make me feel happy.  You see, I'm Canadian.  And Canadian winters are LONG.  And even though we finally have warm Spring days, the cold winter weather is still burned into my memory.  And I. JUST. WANT. TO. FORGET.

Don't get me wrong, I like a lot of winter activities, but ever since I started carting around three little ones, well, winter has been less than pleasant.

So when I hear the words "Sun Tea", it makes me downright giddy.  Because sun tea requires sun, and if there is sun then there is warmth. and boy does that feel good on my skin.;)  Vitamin D, how I've missed you!

I love sitting on the back porch while the kids are playing, and the sun tea is brewing.  And that is exactly what I did this week.


(I swear I see a tiger's face in that floating tea bag.  That might be a sign that it's too late to blog and I should be in bed instead. ;) )

Mango Infused Sun Tea

5 Orange pekoe tea bags
Water
1/2 cup of honey
1 mango, chopped up


Fill your pitcher with water and put in 5 tea bags.  I use Orange Pekoe but you could use any kind.  Herbal teas work well, too.  I used a glass pitcher and sealed some cling wrap onto the top with an elastic.  I feel like using glass instead of a plastic jug in the heat is most likely a better option.  Many people use mason jars.

Let it "brew" in the sun for a few hours.  I left mine out for about 3 hours.  Avoid letting it sit out longer than 4 hours or it may become bitter.

Stir in half a cup of honey (or sweetener of your choice.)  Refrigerate until chilled.

Add the mango chopped up.  Let it sit in your fridge overnight or for 8 hours or so to allow the mango flavor to infuse the tea.

If you prefer, you can strain the mango out of it before you drink it.  Or you might have one of those really cool infuser pitchers already.  I just leave the mango in it.

ENJOY! :)  



*I realize there is some debate on whether sun tea is safe bacteria-wise. For me, I am not concerned about it as people have been making sun tea for generations, but please do your own research on the subject and decide what's best for you and your family.  Some ways to avoid bacteria growth is by not leaving it out in the sun too long, and not to add sweeteners to it until AFTER it has brewed and is ready for the refrigerator.


Peace & Love :)









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...