Thursday, March 5, 2015

Exercising on a Budget



A couple of weeks ago I was walking on my treadmill while watching "Baby Mama."  If you have ever watched Tina Fey and Amy Pohler together, you'll probably agree that you just end up laughing your guts out.  Except, at one of the more serious moments of the movie (which, by the way, is still pretty lighthearted) I found myself in tears.  I don't know if it was the constant snow coming down, or the fact that I hadn't had a bathroom break by myself in way too long, but there I was, walking on the treadmill, watching a comedy, and crying like a baby.  And then I remembered that exercising gives you endorphins, and endorphins make you happy. (I'm pretty I first learned that little tidbit of knowledge from "Legally Blonde." Who says TV is a waste of time?)  So I am guessing, if I wasn't exercising, just the sight of watching Kate find out Angie had lied to her about actually carrying her baby probably would have left me in complete devastation.  Basically, I am pretty sure those endorphins kept me from curling up in a ball at that moment, unable to separate movie world from reality,  Sure, I was crying, but I was still upright, exercising, and doing what i needed to do. Hmm...and this may be why I don't watch many movies.

All that to say, even though I don't do it as much as I should, I believe exercise is important for not only our physical health, but our emotional health as well.  But those memberships to the gym, or equipment can add up quickly.  Here's some tips on how to save.

1.  Buy equipment secondhand.  I bought my treadmill on Kijiji for $50.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but I didn't need anything fancy.  But even if you are looking for something fancier, I imagine you can find it for a much cheaper price than brand new in the store.  You would not believe how many ads I saw for treadmills that said "used only 3 times" or "doubles up as a clothing rack."  Which brings me to my second point.

2.  Buy only what you will use.  When I decided I wanted a treadmill, many people tried to talk me out of it.  They've seen many people who paid  a lot of money, and then didn't touch it.  However, i knew I would use it as that is one of my methods of exercise I prefer.  Had I bought kettle balls or exercise videos, it would have been a waste of money as I most likely would have used them once and then let them collect dust.  Think about the form of exercise you are most likely to do, and work with that.

3.  Apply for membership subsidy.  If you are the type who prefers to work in a gym setting, and that is what motivates you, look into whether you qualify for membership subsidy.  The YMCA offers subsidy on memberships as well as many other community fitness centers.  I enjoy a gym setting, but it's probably safer for my pride to do my exercising at home....there may have been this time that I fell off the treadmill, and then when I got up I bashed my head on the arm....that's right, two injuries in 30 seconds. Oh, and there was that time that I almost passed out in a cycling class... Nothing kills your motivation quicker than total and utter embarrassment, which seems to be a reoccurring theme for me at the gym.

4.  Take it outside.  Nothing is more invigorating than exercising outside.  Running, walking, a game of soccer, chasing your toddler at the park....any of that will get your heartrate up, and best of all, it's FREE!!!



What do you do to save money on keeping fit?

Peace & Love. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...