Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Juicing for Health

A few years ago I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead."  It is a documentary about a man named Joe, who goes on a juice fast for 60 days in an effort to make some serious changes in his health.  I was inspired by the film, and around the same time purchased a juicer.  I go through phases of juicing and not juicing, and after not feeling so well from way too many Christmas desserts that seemed to stretch into January, it was time to wipe the dust off my beautiful juicer and put it to work again.  Anyone who knows me knows that although I love green juices and smoothies, I have a serious weakness for pastry and sugar and basically all things bad for me.  I'm working on it.  I've been juicing every day for a few weeks now.

Today's juice didn't contain much vegetables, as I am running low and need to take a trip to the grocery store.  Generally, you want to have more vegetables than fruit, but if you are just starting out and can't possibly stomach the idea of drinking a glass that is over half full of spinach or kale, I recommend starting with more fruit than vegetables and then gradually working yourself up.

2 Oranges, 3 apples, and 2 small beets for today's juice.


I put this baby to work.  My poor little juicer has been through some rough times lately.  The spout is melted and deformed.  It seems I,  someone who shall remain nameless, has a habit of leaving appliances on the stove and turning on the wrong element.  I , someone in this house may have lit two electric kettles on fire this way.  Oh, and notice that chip out of the plastic pulp catcher?  I dropped it and it broke. :(  Usually I stick duct tape on that part, but forgot today.  I was quickly reminded on why I do that when a chunk of processed beet almost took out my eye. If my juicer has 9 lives, we've still got about 7 to use up....


So then I thought, "I am going to take a picture of my beautiful, bright pinkish-red juice for one my first posts.  Except, I turned around and found this:


Yeah, don't let that innocent face fool you.  

Needless to say, fresh juice does not last long around here.  I basically have to fight my kids for it.  The one I make with spinach is one of their favorite.

Don't let the cost of a juicer scare you.  Years ago when I first wanted a juicer, I bought a cheap one at the thrift store for 7 dollars.  I had to cut up all my veggies into little pieces, but it did the job until I could afford a good one.

If you haven't, I recommend you watch the documentary, "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead'.  There is a second one too, and they are both on Netflix.  You can also read more about Joe and his documentary at his website, Reboot with Joe.

Peace & Love. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...